Have you ever thought of including duck——–Muscovy duck in particular——– in your diet? If you have not, check out some of it’s benefits:
- Originating int the warm climates of South Africa, the Muscovy duck is a breed in a class of it’s own. It needs no fat for protection against cold weather and therefore is by far the leanest domesticated duck breed.
- A Muscovy duck has the highest yield of any duck available and 50 percent more breast meat than other ducks.
- Muscovy breast meat is 99 percent lean.
- The skin of this duck has 50 percent less fat and fewer calories than the Moulard or Peking varieties.
- Muscovy ducks have less fat and less calories per pound than turkey.
Here is what the National Research Institute for Agriculture (INRA)1 says about the Muscovy duck:
[Muscovy] Duck meat is lean (breast meat contains only 2% lipid), and rich in polyunsaturated fatty acids. However, unlike chicken meat, duck meat is red.
And how easy to cook! You may use any one of hundreds of exotic recipes. However, try our recipe of cooking a 3kg duck in your oven in a closed pot at 95°C (200°F) for 9 hours, without adding any liquid our seasonings. The meat simply falls off the bones and has a rich, distinct taste! The less heat the more nutrition!
1. Institut National de la recherche agronomique (INRA), 37380 Nouzilly, 1995, prod. Anim. 8 (2), 117-125.
We use certified organic food free of chemical fertilizers, pesticides, genetically modified grains (GMO’s), steroids, antibiotics, growth hormones, coloring agents, animal by-products, medicated feed, chemically extracted meal or synthetic roughage. We don’t hurry nature: we grow our ducks for 100-120 days compared to 42-45 days for most Peking ducks. This allows our birds to fully mature. Feed is carefully selected, blended and milled at the farm for a balanced diet.